Black River Area Development Corporation (BRAD) manages two rental assistance programs, the Housing Choice Voucher Program and the HOME Tenant Based Rental Assistance Program (TBRA).  BRAD also manages a Lowing Income Housing Tax Credit Property, BRAD Black River Housing Apartments.



The Housing Choice Voucher Program is government-subsidized rental housing.  The program is designed to provide very qualified low-income households (individuals and families) access to affordable private housing. Applicants are placed on a waiting list and notified when assistance is available.  A “voucher” is then issued to the applicant.  The applicant then will search for suitable housing.  In order to have a house eligible for our program, landlords must make sure that their house meets the Housing Quality Standards.



The HOME TBRA program is an extension of the Housing Choice Voucher Program and is operated under the same essential rules.  As a housing assistance project, the rental assistance program serves only persons who are very low income.  Existing housing stock from the private market is utilized for housing eligible clients.  All housing stock is required to meet Housing Quality Standards and all clients and units are recertified annually as a means of quality assurance.



BRAD Black River Housing Apartments are located at 1902 Tramcar Drive; Pocahontas, AR 72455.

BRAD Black River Housing Apartments is a 32-unit complex (16 3BR Units and 16 2BR Units).

Each unit is equipped with mini-blinds, central heat & air, range, refrigerator, dishwasher, garbage disposal, and washer/dryer hookups.

On site office hours are Tuesday and Thursday 9:00 – 3:30.




I am without a place to live. Can I get assistance immediately?

Generally, there is a waiting period for assistance.  The waiting time is generally 6 months to 1 year.

I am living in a HUD approved unit.  Can I get help now?

There is no such thing as a HUD approved unit prior to application.  You must first apply, go through verification of eligibility process, and then be issued a voucher.  Once you are issued a voucher, you may request an inspection of your unit to determine if the unit meets the Housing Quality Standard.

Do I have to move into a government apartment complex to receive assistance?

No.  The Housing Choice Voucher Program allows for a family to receive assistance in a privately-owned unit of their choice provided certain conditions are met.  Some of these conditions are: the unit must pass a Housing Quality Standard inspection, the owner must agree to participate, the size of the unit, and the amount of rent charged meets the Voucher guidelines.  An acceptable unit can be a single-family home, apartment, or mobile home.

How much assistance can I expect to receive?

There are many factors that determine how much assistance you will receive.  Some of which are: your income, number of people in your family, amount of your rent, and what utilities do you pay.  Basically, the assistance is based upon you paying 30% of your monthly income toward rent with the balance being paid by the Housing Authority.

I may need to re-locate to another area soon.  Will I lose my rental assistance? 

Recipients are required to sign a one-year lease.  After the initial year, you may use your Voucher to move to another area by following proper guidelines.


Are utilities included in the rent?

No utilities (electric and water) are at your expense.

I have a pet.  Can I move into an apartment and keep my pet? 

In most situations, you can.  You must follow our pet policy.  A pet deposit is required, pets must be up to date on shots, and spayed or neutered.

How much rent will I have to pay?

The amount of rent you pay is based upon a number of factors.  A few of those factors are the amount of your income and the number of persons in your family.

Will I be required to pay a security deposit?

Yes, the security deposit is $300.00 payable over a three-month period.

Contact Information


Amanda Trevillion: Program Director
1403 Hospital Drive
Pocahontas, AR 72455
(870) 202-1363 or (870) 202-1378
E-Mail Amanda Trevillion

Alma Major: Housing Coordinator
1403 Hospital Drive
Pocahontas, AR 72455
(870) 202-1363 or (870) 202-1378
E-Mail Alma Major